Week of May 12, 1914
• Coates & Sons’ new planning mill is now up and fully operational.
• The Hotel Raymond advertising rates of $1.50 a day, with the best stable in town.
• Building inspector issues permits for John Connell’s new blacksmith shop, while another permit issued is for an addition to the Crystal Theatre.
• A letter to the Burlington Tennis Club from the Burlington Country Club suggests that the two clubs unite for tennis privileges on the “fine courts at the Hotel Brant” and that fees be set at $5 for gentlemen and $3 for ladies for the season.
• Hamilton Dairy Co. starts to make daily deliveries in Burlington of milk, cream and butter.
Week of May 12, 1964
• Bonnie Place rushes final preparations for June opening.
• Extensive changes under way for QEW/Guelph Line intersection.
• Interim Y board looks at working relationship with Great Hamilton YMCA.
Week of May 5, 1914
• Council seeks report on the feasibility of an electric road passing through Burlington from Hamilton to Toronto.
• Fifth annual concert of the Burlington Band scheduled for Crystal Palace Theatre, with added attractions including a comedian and a whistling entertainer.
• Dr. T. W. Peart buys Ford runabout from E. T. Emerson, the local agent.
• Emerson brothers preparing to open ice cream parlor again this year, noting that business has been rapidly increasing.
Week of May 5, 1964
• Wellington Square development stalled as OMB considers application for 100 per cent lot coverage.
• Mac Sprowl appointed deputy sheriff for Halton County.
• Town Council agrees to acquire Kraft’s Lane, with costs to be assessed on residents abutting the lane.
• National Trust opens newest branch, located in a circular building on Brant Street.
• Council approves regulating store closing hours and days by a 11-1 vote.
Week of April 28, 1914
• Reeve Smith receives letter from Ottawa approving construction of a revetment wall that will be 150 feet from the shore, with opening left to allow small craft to enter.
• Chas Miller, proprietor of the Lakeside Dairy, strikes a deal with Burlington Dairy to purchase their routes, rigs, and horses effective May 1.
• Patrons pleased with the new look Crystal Palace Theatre with the interior having been re-decorated, the seats re-arranged while other improvements are centred on the quality of the picture.
• W. D. Flatt seeks to have gas lines extended from the canal piers into Burlington.
• Dr. W. A. Bodkin, house surgeon at the Hamilton City Hospital, assumes the medical practice of Dr. W. R. Watson
Week of April 28, 1964
• Burlington makes bid to have a representative on the Hamilton Harbour Commission.
• Mass transit survey to include questions about experimental railway commuter service between Burlington and Ajax.
• Eaton’s to submit own case regarding inclusion in regional shopping centre.
From the Gazette
We travel back 100 years ago to see what the Burlington Gazette was reporting in its news pages, and then look at the news from 50 years ago, from more recent memory.