Week of April 14, 1914
• H. E. Walker, commanding officer of the 20th Regiment Halton Rifles, announces that “E” company would commence drilling at the Burlington drill hall that week.
• Burlington boy’s band now preparing for their annual concert, which will be held at the Crystal Theatre.
• The Grand Trunk International Limited delayed coming into Burlington by a fire which started in the roof above the kitchen stove in the dining car, but armed with axes and water pails, the crew managed to get the flames under control.
• Dr. T. Peart elected president as a new baseball club is organized in Burlington with suitable grounds to be established on the J. C. and M C. Smith property.
• The Pine Cove baseball club hears that work is progressing on the erection of grand sand for the Pine Cove grounds.
• Lakeside Dairy announces that they now have a phone installed, with customers urged to phone 340 for delivery.
• Post office rescinds order that letters containing currency up to $1 be diverted to the dead letter office.
Week of April 14, 1964
• Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital is asked to help train nurses through a program in conjunction with the Hamilton and District School of Nursing.
• Large addition that will include a greenhouse planned for Nelson High School.
• Majority of Burlington merchants petition for uniform store hours.
Leave a Reply.
From the Gazette
We travel back 100 years ago to see what the Burlington Gazette was reporting in its news pages, and then look at the news from 50 years ago, from more recent memory.