Week of March 16, 1914
• The Gazette learns that a new contract has been awarded for the completion of the revetment wall on the lake front; work to commence as soon as the water in the lake recedes.
• Just days after announcing the opening of his new dairy, Chas. Miller tells The Gazette it will be known as the Lakeside Dairy.
• W. D. Flatt named president as football club organized; games to be played at the Pine Cove grounds.
• Pine Cove Baseball Club re-organized with W. D. Flatt as president; announces that a pavilion would be erected on the grounds for the coming season.
• Hamilton police arrest John Lougheed of Port Nelson on a charge of non-support and desertion preferred by his wife.
• John Connell purchases property from W. C. Kerns at the corner of James and John streets to build an up-to-date blacksmith and wagon shop.
Week of March 16, 1964
• Interim board elected as residents approve establishment of a family YMCA in Burlington.
• Huge crowd lines the street as Green’s Department store opens on Brant Street.
• Work of Burlington’s new town hall now only slightly behind schedule, delay as a result of an appeal after project approved by OMB.
• Virtue Motors on Lakeshore Road undergoes vast changes with a name change to Brant Chrysler and the demolition of two houses on Locust for a used car lot.
Leave a Reply.
From the Gazette
We travel back 100 years ago to see what the Burlington Gazette was reporting in its news pages, and then look at the news from 50 years ago, from more recent memory.