Week of March 2, 1914
• Area apple growers meet at the Strathcona Hall to consider a central apple packing association.
• Tenders called for the erection of a school near Walker’s Crossing in S.S. No. 15, Township of Nelson.
• The Nelson & Burlington Historical Society officially constituted.
Week of March 2, 1964
• Planning department approves zoning of the Fisher Farm to permit a regional shopping centre on Guelph Line.
• George Johnson, who repaired toys as Christmas gifts for 20 years, named Burlington’s Citizen of the Year.
• Effort under way to organize Business and Professional Women’s Club in Burlington.
• Brochures explaining the development of a Burlington Family YMCA to be distributed to 20,000 school children to pass along to their parents.
Week of Feb. 23, 1914
• With a proper facility now available, Burlington’s mayor suggests village could ice an OHA team next year.
Week of Feb. 24, 1964
• Town clerk William Sims suggest new ward system , reducing present number from nine to five with two councilors per ward.
• Board of education planning 16-room school in Dynes Road area at an estimated cost of $460,000.
• Council asked to extend Woodward Avenue eastward to provide additional access to new school site.
• New ownership group buys Halliday Company and renames it Halliday Homes with G. W. E. Gordon as president.
• Burlington Mohawks win right to play Stamford for the Niagara District Junior B championship.
Week of Feb. 16, 1914
• Reeve M. C. Smith officially opens Burlington’s first covered ice rink, the Elgin Street Arena.
• Masquerade carnival planned for new arena with best clown to receive a box of cigars.
• Cold weather creates ongoing problems at Burlington’s newly built Central School as boiler inadequate to heat classrooms.
• Village commissioner on the warpath as citizens continue to throw coal ashes on the streets; violators will be prosecuted under village bylaw.
Week of Feb. 17, 1964
• Jaycees launch plan to build Family YMCA in Burlington.
• Public works committee approves Colonnade Park project on Marley Road; called one of the biggest multiple family housing developments in Canada.
• A. L. Green family department store, 19th such store in Canada, set to open in March.
•Queen’s Park accepts Official Plan amendment to maintain present 60-foot width of Brant Street rather than 100-foot proposal.
Week of Feb. 9, 1914
• William Fisher buys 25 lots in Bell’s survey near the Brant House, telling the Gazette he has great confidence in the future of Burlington.
• Ice is flooded in preparation for the formal opening of the Elgon Street arena.
• Sharp drop in temperature chases away all fear of an ice famine as the ice on the bay is now 12 inches thick.
• Just days after the Coates & Son planning mill was destroyed by fire, workers have cleared the site and plans under way to rebuild the plant.
Week of Feb. 10, 1964
• Two large apartment developments – one at Marley and Francis Road, and the second at 2256 Lakeshore Road – discussed at building and planning committee.
• Parks board wants to convert Virtue property at 1464 Lakeshore Road into a park as long as they don’t have to pay for it.
Week of Feb. 2, 1914
• Warmer weather causes concern for the harvesting of ice, as the bay is now only six inches thick.
• New schedule for Hamilton Radial Electric Railway shows hourly service between Oakville and Burlington, and Burlington and Hamilton from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
• Work delayed on the Elgin Street arena after workers run out of iron sheeting.
• Greenwood Cemetery Company approves expenditure of $400 for the building of a new road to the cemetery.
Week of Feb. 3, 1964
• Plans to fill in the area behind the breakwater at Spencer Park announced.
• Burlington to sign agreement with the CNR for automatic signal protection for the King’s Road crossing.
• Canadian Heritage Furniture to move to Burlington after fire destroys East Flamboro plant.
• Parks and Recreation Commission propose an addition to Lowville Park that would be suitable for establishing a junior ski tow and a day camp.
Week of Jan. 26, 1914
• Surrounding buildings are saved as Coates & Sons Planing Mill on Brant Street destroyed in early morning fire.
• Special Saturday matinee presentations now being held at the Crystal Theatre for ladies and children.
• Burlington library board to spend $75 on the purchase of books, the purchase to include a complete edition of Dickens.
Week of Jan. 27, 1964
• Council hears report from consultants who recommend one-way street system in core area including Brant and either John or Locust streets.
• Town crest is approved.
• Amendment to Official Plan, reducing width of Brant Street from 100 feet to 60 feet approved; eliminates one stumbling block to Wellington Square Mall proposal.
• Council approves plan to extend Spencer Park from Brant Street to the Brant Inn as town’s Centennial project.
• The Honorable William Davis addresses Nelson High assembly; first visit ever for a minister of education.
Week of Jan. 19, 1914
• The G. H. Sinclair store in Aldershot had a front page ad in the Gazette on house cleaning supplies, but at the very bottom of the ad it noted: Issuer of marriage licences.
• The annual meeting of subscribers of the Burlington Public Library was held in the reading room at which time a discussion took place concerning the provision of lavatory accommodation at the library.
• At a meeting held in the clerk’s office, Burlington council passed a resolution that “the Lake Shore Road, which connects the cities of Hamilton and Toronto, and serves a population of over half a million people, and which at present is in a deplorable condition, should be the first provincial highway constructed.”
Week of Jan. 20, 1964
• Fire destroys restaurant at Plains and Waterdown roads; building was 120 years old and once served as a stagecoach stop, toll station and hotel.
• Proposed Wellington Square shopping mall turned down by the Ontario Municipal Board.
• DeLuxe Taxi, owned by George Seaton, buys out Jack Harris’ Crown Cabs.
• Burlington’s building and planning committee debate Brant Street overpass at Plains Road.
Week of Jan. 12, 1914
• At a meeting of the ratepayers of school section No. 15, Nelson, a site for the new school was chosen. After considerable discussion it was decided to erect the new school on Walker’s Line, 1000 feet from the old Lake Shore Road.
• Work is progressing on the new closed rink (on Elgin Street), and the contractors expect to have it ready by Feb. 1. In the meantime, the hockey boys have flooded the open-air rink and there will be skating tonight.
• The Burlington and Plains Road Social Club held an enjoyable dance in the public library last night.
• The Crystal Theatre management are offering a reward of $10 for information that will lead to the conviction of the person or persons who cause any disturbance or use improper language in the theatre while the show is on.
Week of Jan. 13, 1964
• Volunteer firefighter Jim Waumsley honoured for 40 years of service as No. 1 Fire Hall olds annual dinner for members, retirees and town council.
• Burlington’s Terry Leggatt earns berth in the Canadian Figure Skating Championships.
• Burlington reeve Gordon Gallagher named warden of Halton County.
Week of January 5, 1914
• M. C. Smith re-elected reeve; defeats E. H. Cleaver by 150 votes.
• Nelson ratepayers meet in Strathcona Hall; hold informal discussion on location of a new school.
• Newly renovated Nelson Township Hall now open.
• Mrs. M. Hayes opens a restaurant on Brant Street as a convenience to people coming to town who only require a lunch.
Week of Jan. 6, 1964
• Council holds its inaugural meeting in the Central High School auditorium; dinner and dance follows at the Estaminet.
• Mayor Owen Mullin announces that Burlington is facing its first tax increase in three years owing to higher education taxes.
• John Ronson named chair of the Burlington board of education succeeding Fred Bidwell.
• Mrs. Palm Pezzini becomes the first woman ever to sit on the Burlington Separate School Board.